Visit the Bookshop


Friday, September 26, 2014

Venerable OLIVER PLUNKET, Archbishop, 1681

A FAIR TRIAL

Biography

AFTER his condemnation, he wrote to Father Corker, his fellow-prisoner, as follows : "I am obliged to you for the favour and charity of the 20th, and for all your former benevolences; and whereas I cannot in this country remunerate you, with God's grace I hope to be grateful in that kingdom which is properly our country. And truly God gave me, though unworthy of it, that grace to have ' fortem animum mortis terrore carentem, (Juvenal's Satire X, line 357 Your prayer must be that you may have a sound mind in a sound body. Pray for a bold spirit, free from all dread of death; That reckons the closing scene of life among Nature’s kindly boons.)' 'a courage fearless of death.' I have many sins to answer for before the Supreme Judge of the High Bench, where no false witnesses can have audience. But as for the bench yesterday, I am not guilty of any crime there objected to me. I would I could be so clear at the bench of the All-powerful. ' Ut ut sit,' there is one comfort that He cannot be deceived, because He is omniscious, and knows all secrets, even of hearts, and cannot deceive because all goodness, so that I may be sure of a fair trial, and will get time sufficient to call witnesses ; nay, the Judge will bring them in a moment if there be need of any. You and your comrade's prayers will be powerful advocates at that trial. Here none are admitted for your affectionate friend,
"OLIVER PLUNKET."

" But there is no other God but Thou who hast care of all, that Thou shouldst show that Thou dost not give judgment unjustly."— Wis. xii. 13.

The head of the Saint, preserved in Drogheda Cathedral.

No comments:

Popular Posts